As I was poking around on Red Worm Composting, I saw that Bentley was doing an experiment with four red wigglers in a ziplock bag of bedding and food. I thought it was pretty neat, so I borrowed his idea to try on my own. Just to see how long it would take to get a worm bin going with two breeding pairs of worms.
As you can see, I opted for a plastic tub container instead of a bag. That was mainly for my personal preference in being able to poke around in it to see any babies or pests that might have got in. (I killed a red mite and two fungus gnats in there already.)
I use a lot of shredded newspaper in my bigger bins, because we get flyers and stuff here and there, but I find that the worms really like the paper that comes in the Amazon.ca boxes, so I used that. I think it’s kraft paper, but not sure. It comes pre-crumpled, and they love to burrow into the moist folds and lay their cocoons.
I also put a carrot, some chopped kale, and a bit of red pepper slurry in, so there were different stages of decomposition.
I did all of this on April 11, 2017. Today is May 1.
I noticed quite a few castings and the food seems to be getting eaten up pretty well. There is basically just carrot left, so it will soon be time to add some more. The bedding is holding up quite well, so I foresee it lasting quite a while longer. I don’t think I was quite prepared for the scope of this, because I know that the cocoons have been hatching, but it’s going to be a while before they are breeding.
Even though it will take a while, I realised that if someone did get themselves a dozen red worms, it would go by pretty quick until one day you looked in and had a pound or so.
I threw a little bit of potting soil in as well, for grit, but I’m also going to sprinkle ground egg shells in also. I will probably update this every few months, because I know now that every month won’t have many changes.
Oh yeah, one more thing before I go.